Firstly, let’s all talk about how we still call it Homemaking Meeting, or Enrichment Night. Because, you know, old habits die hard.
Secondly, we get emails all the time asking if we have ideas for those weekday Relief Society meetings, that are held monthly, or quarterly, depending on where you live.
Thirdly, we aim to please, so we’ve put together the ultimate go-to guide (okay, it’s more of a list of ideas) for Relief Society meeting ideas. We even broke it into sections because we are ever so helpful.
Fourthly, we would like to remind you that weekday Relief Society meetings do NOT have to be a big affair…. (read: no decorations/food/special musical numbers) You need to do what is best for the sisters in your area.
Okay then? Here we go (And PLEASE! Feel free to add any of your favorite ideas and tips in the comments!)
Family History & Arts
- Culture/Heritage Night – you need to know where you came from, so that you can understand where you’re going. Have the sisters bring treats from their countries of origin
- Blogging Workshop – learn how to use your blog to record your living history
- Writers Workshop – everyone has a story! Have a writing contest, or put together a ward history
- Learn about art
- Photography class
- Music – discuss how uplifting music can invite the Spirit into your home. Learn to lead music. Discuss how music is a form of worship. Discuss how music can help teach the gospel.
- Communication Night – learn how to effectively communicate with your family & friends. If there is a person in your ward who speaks another language, invite them to speak about how you can communicate with them better. Learn how to resolve conflicts both in and outside the home.
- Public Speaking – learn tips on how to be a better speaker (will come in handy the next time you’re asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting!)
Marriage/Family Relations & Health and Wellness
- Learn to take charge of your health. Invite a fitness expert to speak about why health is important and demonstrate simple exercises that you can sneak in throughout the day
- Choices in child birth – You can have a doula, a midwife, or even a surgeon. Talk about all the options that you have as a mother in choosing how you want to give birth
- Nutrition – Did you know that broccoli has the most protein per calorie? Learn the REAL keys to eating right. (Here’s a hint, the Word of Wisdom is dead on.)
- Learn CPR
- Learn Fire Prevention
- Eternal Marriage – discuss the principal of eternal marriage. discuss how you can become an eternal companion.
- Establishing Family Rules – discuss rights and responsibilities. discuss the different roles in your home.
- Parenting with Kindness – children need limits and responsibility. Discuss how you build confidence in children.
- Building a Strong Family – discuss the value of setting goals as a family and working together. discuss how to achieve oneness in marriage
- Teaching by Example – learn to listen to your family. discuss how you can have spiritual experiences in your daily life. discuss the values that you want to instill in others
- Personality Types – understanding ourselves and others around us
- Leadership Training – learn how effective leadership
- Humor – learn why a little humor goes a long way
- Improving Self-Esteem
- Keeping Romance in your Marriage
- Depression – discuss techniques to help manage and overcome depression. **Be sensitive to the needs of the sisters in your ward** Share your own personal experiences only. If a health professional is present, invite them to talk about the how’s and why’s of depression and treatment options.
Personal & Spiritual Development
- Family Traditions – talk about the importance of establishing good traditions & share what your favorite traditions were growing up
- Temple Worship – learn how you can get the most of your temple experience. REMEMBER: Not all the sisters in your ward are temple recommend holders. Discuss the importance of striving for that goal. There are also other ordinances performed in the temple that you don’t have to be endowed for, such as baptisms for the dead. And encourage your sisters to visit the grounds, so that they can get in the habit of going to the temple.
- Scripture Study – discuss the importance of daily scripture study. learn how to use the bible dictionary and index properly. encourage family scripture study
- Self-Control – how do you exercise self control and why is it important?
- Goal Setting – it’s not as easy as you think!
- Keeping a Journal
- Being a Missionary – discuss practical ways to share the gospel.
- Modern Modesty – discuss how you can dress in the latest trends AND stay modest
- Education – you should always be learning. discuss how you can learn to enjoy learning.
- Charity – why it’s important and what it means to be charitable
- Tithes and Offerings – discuss the miracle of tithing and how we can benefit from this great blessing
- Improving personal prayers – teaching our children how to recognize the Spirit.
- Developing Compassion
- Learning to be Grateful
Homemaking Skills & Self Reliance
- Basic Home Remedies – learn easy ways to treat minor illnesses at home. What’s the best way to treat a bee sting? What can you do for an ear ache? Learn homeopathic tricks that will keep you and your family feeling good.
- Gardening – learn what grows in your area, and how to get the most out of your gardens. Discuss what to plant and when for the most successful harvest. Include tips on landscaping as well.
- Food Storage – learn the basics of food and water storage. Learn different canning techniques.
- Freezer Meals
- Sewing Basics – how to sew a button, how to repair a ripped seam, etc.
- Basic Haircutting - Learn how to give men’s haircuts and how to trim bangs
- How to change a tire
- How to change your oil
- Home Decorating – learn how to arrange furniture. learn how to group pictures. learn different painting techniques. learn how to make curtains and pillows.
- Chores and Children – discuss why children need responsibilities. learn how work can bring your family closer together
- Cleanliness is Godliness – discuss how to have an organized home. Learn tips and tricks for removing stains from clothes and furniture
- The Value of Work
- Meal Planning – how and why you should do it!
- Cooking Class – have different sisters share how to make their favorite foods
- Clean and repair nursery toys
- Quilt Tying
- Volunteer – Prepare and serve dinner for a local homeless or women’s shelter
- Have a service auction! – let the sisters in your ward share their talents with others!
- Magnify your calling – discuss how to enjoy and serve willingly in the capacity in which you are called
- Serving our Father in Heaven – discuss ways you can serve your Heavenly Father daily